Bottle Gourd Raita/Lauki Raita is a yogurt-based side dish from Indian cuisine. Particularly, Mustard flavored Lauki Raita is very famous in Bihar, India. Raita goes very well with any Indian meal. As you know, bottle gourd is low in saturated fat and cholesterol but high in dietary fiber, water content, vitamins, and minerals. This dish is really nourishing and super healthy to add in your daily meal.
This recipe requires minimal ingredients and very less effort. The main Ingredients for this dish is bottle gourd, yogurt, and coarsely grounded mustard seed. Personally, I like the spiciness and the tangy flavor of this dish. So, I usually add lots of green chilies to make it hot and use mustard oil and ground mustard seed powder to give it a strong flavor. If you don’t like spicy food and mustard flavor, it’s totally okay to skip these ingredients.
Raita is not the main dish. We serve as a side dish with some spicy curry or biryani. However, I serve it as a main dish because I make it spicy and flavorful that does not require any other main dish. This mustard flavored raita can be served with chapati, rice, or quinoa.
More vegetarian healthy recipes from the blog-
- Chickpeas beans salad
- Chickpea salad
- Eggplant peanut curry
- Sauteed Mushroom Spinach
- Zucchini fritters
- Banana soup
- Chili soy nuggets
- Chana Masala
If you try this recipe, I would love to know how it turned out. Please tag your picture with #tangyhoney on my Instagram or connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Thank you so much for visiting my blog. See you very soon in my next healthy recipe. Stay healthy…
Prep. time: 5 minutes Cooking time: 10 minutes Serve: 4
- Bottle gourd/lauki: 1 pound
- Yogurt: 1½ cup
- Garlic: 1tbsp
- Green chili: 2 or as needed
- Tumeric: 1 Tsp
- Salt: 1 Tsp
- Ground mustard seed powder: 1 Tsp
- Mustard oil: 1 tbsp
Let’s begin: How to Make Mustard Bottle Gourd Raita with step by step photos –
- Chop bottle gourd into fine pieces.
- In a pan, add the chopped bottle gourd, salt, and turmeric.
- Mix them well.
- Now turn on the flame. Cover the pan and cook the bottle gourd for about 10 minutes on low heat.
- In 10 minutes you will see bottle gourd has gotten soften and released some water. It’s time to turn off the flame.
- And immediately add all rest of the raw ingredients (garlic paste, green chili, mustard powder).
- Mix them well, cover them, and let them rest for about 10 more minutes.
- Add yogurt and mix them. Now, raita is ready to serve.
- Taste it and if needed, add more salt or make it spicier to reach the desired taste.
Serve Mustard Bottle Gourd Raita as a side dish or a main dish with chapati, rice, or Quinoa
Please follow us on:
Please let us know if you like our recipes and what would you like to see next