Tamil Nadu, a southern state in India is believed to be the home for this amazing dish. It is locally known by the name ‘Thakkali Sadam’. It has some resemblance to Spanish Rice or Mexican rice that is popular by the name ‘Arroz Rojo. However, this is a vegetarian or vegan dish, depending on the use of ghee (clarified butter) or cooking oil. Plant-based butter can be used for the vegan alternative. Being very simple and easy to prepare using very few ingredients, it is a must-try. As the name suggests its key ingredients are tomato and rice.
Prep. Time: 2 minutes
Cooking Time: 8 minutes
- Rice (of your choice): 1 cup
- Tomatoes: 4 medium-sized (finely chopped)
- Onion: 2 medium-sized (thin sliced)
- Urad dal/Black lentil (whole without skin): ¼ cup
- Green Chillies/Green Peppers: 2 (finely chopped)
- Coriander/Parsley (green leaves): 2 tbs (finely chopped)
- Ginger: 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Asafoetida: ½ teaspoon
- Curry leaves: 10-12 individual leaves
- Black Mustard seeds: 1 tbsp
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder: ½ teaspoon
- Cooking Oil/Ghee(clarified butter): 4 tbs
- Wash the rice thoroughly to remove excess starch.
- Put a pot with the 8 cups of water on the stove and bring it to boil.
- Add the washed rice to it and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Remember to stir it occasionally in the initial 2 minutes else it would stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Meanwhile, cut the green chilies/peppers, tomatoes, onion, and ginger. Keep the other ingredients handy.
- Put a wok or a deep-frying pan on the stove and add the cooking oil/ghee to it.
- Add the mustard seeds, urad dal, green chilies/peppers, asafoetida, curry leaves, sliced onions, turmeric powder, chopped ginger, and stir-fry on medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
- Be careful as the mustard seeds will crackle at this stage.
- Meanwhile, strain the rice in a strainer.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook on medium-high heat for 3 minutes. The tomatoes should be cooked by then and partially dried up.
- Now add the strained rice to the pot and mix well. Sprinkle the chopped coriander/parsley and mix well.
- Turn off the heat and Tadaa…!!
- It’s ready. Plate it and eat it…!!
Please follow us on:
Please let us know if you like our recipes and what you would like to see next.