Mushroom Tikka Masala is an Indian curry where Mushroom get marinated in yogurt and other spices and is cooked in a tomato-based creamy curry. This dish goes very well with naan/rice/paratha. Mushroom tikka masala is a vegetarian alternative to chicken tikka masala.
For making mushroom tikka masala, I have made mushroom tikka first, the same as paneer tikka or chicken tikka. The only difference is that I have used a tsp of besan (Chickpea flour) in marinating the mushrooms. Adding besan or cornflour helps the mushroom to release less water and get a nice crusty layer.
For the masala, onions, tomatoes, and other spices cooked together. And the mushroom tikkas and heavy cream are finally added to the masala. For making the masala I have used the canned tomato puree, but it is totally optional. You can always use the fresh grind tomato to make this yummy curry. Mushroom tikka masala is ready to serve!! Garnish it with have heavy cream and cilantro leaves and serve hot!!
Do check them out for more Vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free recipes. You may like them. If you try this recipe, I would love to know how it turned out. Please tag your picture with #tangyhoney on my Instagram or connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Thank you so much for visiting my blog. See you very soon in my next healthy recipe. Stay healthy…
Mushroom Tikka Masala video Recipe
Prep. time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 20 minutes Serve: 2
For the Mushroom Tikka
- Mushroom: 8 oz (200gm)
- Salt: 1tsp or as required
- Garlic powder: 1tsp
- Red Chili Powder: 1/2tsp
- Turmeric powder: 1/2tsp
- Yogurt: 2 tsp
- Besan: 1tsp
- Oil: 1tsp
For the Masala/curry
- Onion: 1 medium size (finely chopped)
- Ginger paste: 1 tsp
- Garlic paste: 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
- Garam Masala powder: 1 tsp
- Coriander powder: 1/2 tsp
- Tomato Puree/fresh grind tomato: 1/2 cup
- Heavy cream: 1/2 cup
- Butter: 2 tbsp
- Oil: 2 tbsp
- Salt: 1/2tsp Or as needed
Let’s begin: How to Make Mushroom Tikka Masala
- Wash the mushroom and then pat dry them with the paper towel.
- Cut the mushroom in half. If the mushrooms are small then leave as it is.
- Take mushrooms in a mixing bowl, add salt, garlic powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, yogurt, besan, and oil.
- Mix them well and marinate them for at least 15 minutes.
- Now, in a heated pan add the marinated mushroom and sauté them for about 5 minutes on high flame.
- In a heated pan add a tsp of oil and butter. Once it’s hot add cumin seeds and allow those seeds to crack.
- Now add the methi leaves and chopped onions. Fry until onions turn light brown in color.
- Now add ginger, garlic, and the spices turmeric powder, garam masala, and coriander powder along with some water.
- Cook all the spices on low flame for about 5 minutes.
- Now, add tomato puree and a pinch of salt and cook it for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Keep stirring in between.
- Now add 1/2 cup of water and heavy cream and mix it well and allow it to boil. And then add the mushroom tikka, mix them in the curry and let them cook for about 5 minutes on simmer.
- Now, Mushroom Tikka Masala is ready to serve. Garnish it with some heavy cream and cilantro leaves and serve it hot.
Please follow us on:
Please let us know if you like our recipes and what would you like to see next.